Aging is natural, but no one ever wishes to look ‘old’. In fact, we often look for skincare that can “reverse” aging, give us a youthful complexion, and healthy glowing skin.
Is there any way to STOP aging? The simple answer is NO. But that doesn't mean you cannot prevent signs of aging from becoming visible. By making minute lifestyle and routine changes, your skin can truly look AGELESS!
WHY DOES YOUR SKIN AGE?
Your skin ages due to a combination of environmental and inherent factors that often work simultaneously towards the breaking down of proteins and molecules in your body. Your genes in association with lifestyle choices and the environment will play a massive role in the outward appearance of signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, and sun damage.
Loss of Collagen
Like all organs in your body, skin is held together by molecules that bind its composing tissues and cells together. This molecule is known as Collagen.
Collagen is a type of protein that is present in your skin, muscles, bones, ligaments, and tendons. It accounts for around 30% to 40% of all proteins in our body. It is a component of our connective tissues, which is accountable for the firmness and structure of the body. Collagen is essential for the overall health of your body, but it is especially critical for the suppleness of your skin.
It fortifies your skin and improves its elasticity and moisture. Collagen fibers provide the framework for elastin and hyaluronic acid, which are essential for the suppleness and hydration of the skin.
As you age, your body generates less collagen. The skin thins, gets drier, and loses elasticity, resulting in the exaggeration of visible wrinkles on your face and body.
The loss of Collagen in your body can be externally noticed if you observe an increase in joint pains, sagging skin, an increase in wrinkles and fine lines, and loss of hair.
Environmental Exposure aka Sun Damage
We've all heard that excessive sun exposure can accelerate skin aging, but how does this happen? Research has found that Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun affects specific fibers in the skin called elastin. Over time, these fibers are unable to return to their maximum performance capabilities which results in what we refer to as sun damage or photoaging.
The loss of elastin fibers causes the skin to droop, wrinkle, and lose its elasticity to bounce back after stretching.
The skin also bruises and rips more easily, with a slower healing process. So, while sun damage may not be visible while you're young, it becomes more apparent later in life.
While nothing can totally reverse sun damage, sometimes skin can recover if it is taken care of appropriately. It is never too late to start shielding yourself from the sun by incorporating the right kind of sun barrier products in your skincare routine.
Your lifestyle choices i.e. the way you live your life can also affect how signs of aging develop on your skin.
- Lack of an Appropriate Skincare Routine: Different types of skin have different needs that need to be met to maintain the skin’s natural composition. For instance, dry skin types require extra hydration through topical skincare products that help the skin stay healthy and hydrated.
Moreover, as mentioned earlier, sun protection is also a crucial step in any skincare routine without which the skin is vulnerable to sun damage.
- Sleeping Patterns and Position: A regular lack of sleep or even the way you sleep can have an effect on the exaggeration of wrinkles and fine lines on your face. When your body does not get the rest it requires, your skin is unable to restore and rejuvenate leading to dull and tired skin. How you sleep might also have an impact.
Sleep creases are most typically observed on the sides of your forehead, between the eyebrows, the hairline, as well as in the center of the cheeks. These are caused by how your face is oriented on the pillow and could become more noticeable as the skin loses its flexibility.
Smoking or Consumption of Alcohol: People who smoke or drink heavily have been seen to have more wrinkles than others of the same age, complexion, and sun exposure history.
In fact, a study has found the ratio of wrinkles to be 4.7 times greater for those who are regular smokers. While the exact origin of this discrepancy is unknown, these lifestyle choices may interfere with normal blood circulation in the skin.
HOW CAN YOU PREVENT VISIBLE SIGNS OF AGING?
- Prioritize Sun Protection: Sun protection is vital whether you're spending all day at the coast or completing errands. Seek shade, wear sun-protective clothes, such as a large hat, and UV-protective eyewear, and wear sunscreen that is broad-spectrum and at least SPF 30 (or more).
Opt for clothes that have an ultraviolet protection factor so you can better protect yourself.
- Opt for self-tanners: You prematurely damage and age your skin every time you tan. This is true whether you tan in the sun, in a tanning bed, or another type of indoor tanning equipment. All emit harmful UV rays, hastening the ageing of your skin.
- Stop smoking: Smoking accelerates the ageing of the skin. It is responsible for wrinkles and a dreary, sallow complexion.
- Repetitive facial expressions: While making facial expressions, the underlying muscles contract. These lines become irreversible if you continually tense the same muscles over a long period. For instance, squinting lines can be reduced by wearing sunglasses.
- Consume a nutritious, well-balanced diet: According to the findings of a few studies, eating enough fresh fruits and vegetables can help avoid damage that contributes to premature skin aging.
A diet loaded with sugar or other processed carbohydrates might also hasten age.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption: Alcohol is abrasive to the skin. It dehydrates your skin and, over time, destroys it. This may make us appear older.
- Develop a consistent exercise routine: A few studies have found that moderate exercise helps enhance circulation and increase the immune system. This might give the skin a more youthful appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that can sting or burn: When your skin is exposed to certain products that cause it to sting, it indicates that it is inflamed. Irritating your skin might cause it to seem older.
Make sure you consult your dermatologist before using skincare products that deem harmful to your skin.
NATURAL INGREDIENTS THAT ARE A MUST IN AN ANTI-AGING SKINCARE ROUTINE
Synthetic ingredients have been shown to reduce signs of aging, but many natural alternatives provide the same anti-aging effects minus the exposure to hazardous chemicals and preservatives.
Some people believe that natural components are only botanicals and extracts, yet scientific advances have elevated natural compounds to a whole new level.
Rosehip Seed Oil
After eight weeks of usage, Rosehip Seed Oil shows remarkable improvement in crow's feet, skin hydration, and flexibility. That's hardly unexpected given Rosehip's high levels of fatty acids and antioxidants, which make it helpful against inflammation and stress. There is a reason why we regard it to be our Hero Ingredient.
Coconut oil is well-known for its antimicrobial and antifungal effects, as well as its anti-aging and healing benefits. Virgin coconut oil, especially, contains characteristics that encourage collagen production. It's also a powerful moisturizer, which is especially good for dry or aged skin.
Find it in Empress Naturals’ Luxe Night Elixir.
Green tea requires no introduction when it comes to natural nutrients. Its numerous advantages include improved general health and a slew of skincare miracles. Green tea contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Early research indicates that green tea can prevent UV damage, protect skin against cancer, and reduce collagen breakdown.
Find it in Buffalo Gals’ Daily Glow Moisturizer.
Vitamin E is abundant in antioxidants and improves blood circulation, making it an excellent solution for wrinkles and photoaging. That might explain why many individuals detect an improvement in the texture and integrity of their skin after applying vitamin E oil topically.
Find it in Empress Naturals’ Luxe Night Elixir.
Carrot Seed OilCarrot seed oil might not be on your mind as a leading anti-aging substance, but it deserves to be on this list. Carrot seed oil is rich in antioxidants. It repairs skin damage, detoxifies, and moisturizes the skin. Carrot seed oil, derived from Daucos Carota or wild carrot (not carrot oil), includes cancer-fighting botanical extracts as well as antibacterial and free radical fighting properties.
Find it in Naturopathica’s Soothing Facial Oil.
DEVELOPING YOUR ANTI-AGING SKINCARE ROUTINE
The age range of 30-40 years is the ideal time to consider natural skin care for aging ladies. As you become older, your face typically reflects it to you like a mirror. Your skin shows the stress of demanding job schedules, night shifts, financial stress, and the usual hormonal tussles.
When you reach your forties, your skin's natural potential for skin regeneration and collagen synthesis begins to decline. Don't give up hope - you may return to natural anti-aging skin care practices and reclaim your skin's vitality and health.
You can refer to a blog post we have done earlier to know what your skincare routine should look like once you cross this age threshold.
Empress Naturals - your partner for ageless skin
At Empress Naturals, we believe in year-round skin nourishment, healing, and repair. Our skincare line is meticulously formulated by industry experts that cater to the specific needs of mature and aging skin ensuring ageless radiance and luminous skin.
Our mission is to provide you with 100% pure and organic skincare products that make you feel incredible in your own skin. We carefully cultivate our ingredients from sustainable farms worldwide that harvest the highest quality without the use of hazardous preservatives or pesticides.
In fact, our products, including the revered and 100% pure Rosehip Seed Oil, are safe to use even during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. However, we do recommend you consult with a medical professional as a safety precaution before using new products.
Our products are non-toxic, clean, Leaping Bunny Certified Cruelty-Free with USDA Certified Organic ingredients. We carefully cultivate our ingredients from sustainable farms worldwide without the use of hazardous preservatives.
Our massage oils are known to calm your nerves and improve your blood circulation to make you feel beautiful inside and outside. Along with our super serums, we offer 100% pure oils like the magical Prickly Pear oil and the miraculous Argan oil
Experience the power of clean skincare with Empress Naturals.